Most people have heard the term “dermal filler”. Many have already experienced the rejuvenating effects of using small amounts of these naturally occurring sugars. But for some people there is still some confusion about how dermal fillers are used, where they are used and how do they refresh the appearance. Here is a quick guide to the many benefits of using dermal fillers, whether it is to rejuvenate the face or simply to enhance the natural features.
What are the Key Features of Facial Ageing
There are well recognised changes that occur in the face as we age. Identifying and treating these changes will help to restore balance and give a refreshed and more youthful appearance. Not everyone ages in the same way. Click here to read more about how your face ages over time.
Influences affecting facial ageing:
- genetic factors
- environmental factors such as sun exposure, smoking and general health status, including nutrition and hormonal balance.
Obviously, there are many different ways to treat facial ageing. Superior outcomes occur if all areas are addressed. At Shine, we offer this level of comprehensive assessment and treatment.
Ageing at Different Levels
- Skin – At this level we see problems with superficial lines and wrinkles, skin texture, pigmentation, broken capillaries and redness
- Underlying tissues – including fat, muscle and bone. Volume loss occurs in a number of these key areas.
The skin loses collagen and elastin and becomes more lax.
- Fat Pads
We also lose the natural fat pads in the face with age (even if we’re not losing fat from other body parts – very unfair). This effect is much worse if someone has recently had a dramatic weight loss.
And finally, there is even slow resorption of the underlying facial bones.
- There is a slow change in the facial shape. As skin becomes lax and moves south (because of loss of underlying support), the face becomes more “bottom heavy”.
- There is some loss of the natural curves in the face typical of youth, resulting in flattening of the cheeks, formation of tear troughs (darkness or circles under the eyes), brows become lower and temples become more hollow – making the shape of the underlying skull more visible – a very ageing, but often overlooked feature.
- Deepening of nasolabial lines (lines running from the sides of the nose to the corners of the lips)
- Formation of jowls with loss of jaw definition.
- Formation of marionette lines that turn down the corners of the mouth and may run to the sides of the chin.
- Accordion lines – bracket lines running out from the corners of the mouth
- Lips – also lose volume with age, and can develop fine lines around the edges.
Dermal Fillers for Volume Replacement
Dermal fillers are used to address all the above concerns. Obviously the best way to address volume loss is with volume replacement. A dermal filler is a type of “gel” and this replaces the volume. All dermal fillers used at Shine are made of hyaluronic acid, a substance natural to the body. They are slowly broken down over time depending on the filler used and where it is placed. They generally last for between 6 and 18 months.
All dermal fillers used at Shine are of the highest standards. They contain local anaesthetic to minimise discomfort and give soft and natural results. There are various techniques used to perform the treatment, depending on the area and the individual circumstances. The procedure takes around 30 minutes or less. We use anaesthetics locally where needed and the treatment is not painful. There is generally no, or very little, downtime.
Using the best dermal fillers available is still only half the equation when we are looking for beautiful, natural results. It is essential that the doctor or nurse performing the treatment has excellent technical skills and also an eye for aesthetic, natural beauty. At Shine, we are passionate about giving completely natural results and making each patient a little more beautiful.
In this discussion, I have touched on just one type of rejuvenation option with dermal fillers. As mentioned earlier, a combined approach using cosmetic injectables, various skin treatments and hormone balancing all need to be considered to give the best results.
I encourage everyone considering a cosmetic treatment to make an appointment for a complimentary consultation at Shine. It doesn’t matter if you feel your needs are simple or more complex. At this time, we can discuss all possible rejuvenation options and write out a Treatment Plan that’s tailored to meet your individual needs.
If you are an existing client, we would like to offer you the opportunity to also take advantage of this free assessment and give you a personalised plan to improve and maintain your appearance. Your needs may change over time and Treatment Plans are continually reassessed to ensure they are still in keeping with your rejuvenation goals.
Click the images above to schedule a complimentary Treatment Plan at Shine.Benefits of a Treatment Plan are:
- Prioritise areas to be treated and treat one or two areas at a time.
- Make the changes you want.
- Achieve a gradual, natural looking change.
- Maintain these improvements over time.
- Help spread the costs over time.